I decided to rebuild the brakes and bearings on my Trailmanor. I wanted nev-r-adjust brakes, and I had no idea of the state of the bearings and axle after I purchased the trailer.
On this trailer the hub and drum are a single piece, which I found out only after fruitlessly trying to dismount the drum from the hub.
Here’s the new nev-r-adjust brake mounted, with the wires reconnected, and with the clean axle. Before mounting the brake, I shot red lithium grease into the zerk of the clean axle, until clean grease flowed out of the ez-lube duct
In my shop, I packed the bearings with red lithium grease, and installed them and the seal in the hub, so that I’d only have to mount the hub/drum in the trailer storage yard. I wrapped the hub/drum in plastic to keep dust out of the bearings, and put down a dropcloth under the axle I was working on to keep any dropped parts out of the dirt. Here are some shots of the hub/drum with the bearings and seal installed.
The way the brake works is interesting. 12 volts from the brake controller to the brake magnet energizes the magnet, and the magnet grips the face of the brake drum. This does not apply the brakes. As the wheel turns forward, the magnet is moved by the drum and pushes on a lever that causes the brake shoes to be applied to the inside of the drum cylinder. The wheel has to roll forward a foot or so for this to happen. It doesn’t work in reverse. Trailer brakes are only for supplementing the tow vehicle brakes and tires in stopping the heavier load of the trailer, and for helping to keep the trailer from jack-knifing.